Let’s list the ways that the North Words Writers Symposium in Skaguay, AK sounds really cool:
1. One of the organizers is named Buckwheat.
2. Keynote speaker is Howard Blum (The Floor of Heaven and American Lightning).
3. Heather Lende and Seth Kantner will be there.
4. Some events take place at a bar called the Red Onion Saloon.
5. Did we mention it’s happening in Skaguay, a tiny outpost that serves as the headquarters for the Klondike Gold Rush National Historic Park? What a beautiful place.
49 Writers has an interview with Jeff Brady, one of the event’s organizers. Brady owns Skaguay News Depot and Books, publishes the The Skaguay News and also runs Lynn Canal Publishing. Is anyone else thinking about Deadwood and the perambulators here?