Our facebook post about the Where’s Waldo local business promotions in Paulina Springs, Oregon and Palmer, Alaska started a hilarious discussion because Waldo is appearing in so many northwest communities for the second year of the “Find Waldo Local” promotion.
In 2012, Waldo (of the seek-and-find books) turned 25, and Chronicle, the American Booksellers Association, IndieBound, and local businesses all over the country teamed up to help encourage people to visit local businesses in their communities. This year, even more places are getting involved in the month-long scavenger hunt.
Independent bookstores in participating communities host the Waldo shenanigans by distributing little Waldo standees to other local businesses for hiding, handing out passports of checklists for the Waldo-finders, and giving away prizes at the culmination of the Waldo hunt.
Here are some bookstores and communities where you can be a part of the Waldo madness:
- Fireside Books in Palmer, AK
- Country Bookshelf in Bozeman, MT
- Third Street Books in McMinniville, OR
- Paulina Springs Books in Paulina Springs AND Redmond, OR
- Edmonds Bookshop in Edmonds, WA
- Village Books in Fairhaven, WA
- Third Place Books in Lake Forest Park, WA
- Liberty Bay Books in Poulsbo, WA
- Secret Garden Books in Seattle, WA
- Inklings Bookshop in Yakima, WA
Is your community looking for Waldo? If we haven’t listed it, please share in the comments.